GREETINGS FROM PARADISE
Opening Tip will be posted about five hours before each game this basketball season.
- What: LSU (2-0) vs. Old Dominion (2-0)
- When: 5:30 p.m. Friday
- Where: UVI Sports and Fitness Center, Charlotte Amalie, Virgin Islands
- TV: CBS Sports
- In-game updates on Twitter: @MicklesAdvocate
- On deck: If LSU wins tonight, it will play the winner of the Illinois State-Weber State game at 8 p.m. CST on Sunday. If LSU loses tonight, it will play the loser of that game at 4 p.m. CST Saturday.
- Tournament veterans: The LSU men’s basketball program is playing in its 53rd regular-season tournament all-time, with the first coming in 1947 in the Fort Worth Collegiate Classic. The Tigers went 2-1 in the Old Spice Classic last season in Orlando, Florida.
- Atlantic Standard Time: While LSU has played in the Hawaiian islands 11 times over the years, the Tigers are playing in the Atlantic time zone, which is two hours ahead of Central time, for the first time. It’s LSU’s first appearance in the Paradise Jam tournament.
- They’ve been Jammin’: Old Dominion, has played in the Paradise Jam twice before. The Monarchs first came to the Virgin Islands to play here in 2005 and lost to Wisconsin in the championship game. They returned five years later and won the 2010 title, beating Xavier in the final.
- Old foes meet again: ODU coach Jeff Jones, who starred collegiately at Virginia, played against LSU coach Johnny Jones when the Cavaliers and Tigers met in the Final Four consolation game in 1981. That was the last time a third-place game was played in the Final Four.
- Nice to meet you: This will be the first meeting between Old Dominion, a Conference USA member which went 18-18 a year ago and reached the semifinals of the CBI tournament last March, on the basketball floor.
Know Your Opponent
- Old Dominion, which was picked to finish fourth by the C-USA coaches, opened the season with wins over UNC Wilmington (76-56) and Richmond (63-57). Monarchs guard Aaron Bacote, a 6-foot-4 junior who averaged 15.5 points a game last season, was chosen to the 10-man preseason all-conference team by the league’s 14 coaches.
- G Josh Gray, 6-1, Jr., 16.0 ppg, 3.5 apg
- G Keith Hornsby, 6-4, Jr., 14.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg
- F Jordan Mickey, 6-8, So., 19.5 ppg, 10.5 rpg
- F Jarell Martin, 6-10, So., 19.0 ppg, 11.5 rpg
- C Elbert Robinson III, 7-1, Fr., 1.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg
- G Tim Quarterman, 6-6, So., 6.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg
- G Jalyn Patterson, 6-1, Fr., 2.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg
- F Aaron Epps, 6-9, Fr., 1.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg
Old Dominion (2-0)
- G Aaron Bacote, 6-4, Jr., 5.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg
- G Jordan Baker, 6-2, So., 8.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg
- G Trey Freeman, 6-2, Jr., 18.0 ppg, 4.0 apg
- F Richard Ross, 6-6, Sr., 9.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg
- F Jonathan Arledge, 6-9, Sr., 12.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg
- F Denzell Taylor, 6-7, So., 7.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg
- G Ambrose Mosley, 6-2, So., 7.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
- G Keenan Palmore, 6-1, Jr., 3.0 ppg, 3.0 apg