Opening Tip is posted about five hours before each game.
- What: No. 12 seed Tennessee (15-18, 8-12 SEC) vs. No. 4 seed LSU (18-13, 11-7 SEC)
- When: About 2:30 p.m. Friday
- Where: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tenn.
- Streaking: Tennessee (W2), LSU (L1)
- All-time series: Tennessee leads 64-44
- Last meeting: Tennessee 81, LSU 65 (Feb. 20, 2016 in Knoxville)
- TV: SEC Network
- Radio: WDGL-FM, 98.1; WWL-AM, 870; KLWB-FM, 103.7
- In game Twitter updates: @MicklesAdvocate
- Up next: If LSU wins, it would play the winner of the Florida-Texas A&M game in the semifinals at noon Saturday (ESPN).
- FOR STARTERS: Since the Southeastern Conference tournament was revived in 1979 after a 26-year hiatus, LSU has posted an 18-19 record in its first game. In its 2015 opener in the quarterfinals against Auburn, LSU gave up a late 3-point basket that tied the game and went on to fall 73-70 in overtime.
- ALL-TIME AT THE TOURNAMENT: With the loss to Auburn last season, LSU’s record all-time at the SEC tournament fell to 46-55 in 56 total appearances. With a victory against Tennessee on Friday afternoon, LSU would earn a spot in Saturday’s semifinals for the 26th time.
- TIGERS VS. VOLUNTEERS: LSU is 3-7 against Tennessee at the SEC tournament, with their last postseason meeting coming on March 11, 2010 — exactly six years to the day of Friday’s matchup. The Volunteers won that one 59-49, bringing to a close Trent Johnson’s second season with the Tigers.
- SCORING MACHINE: When LSU freshman forward Ben Simmons scored 17 points in last Saturday’s setback at Kentucky, he quietly surpassed the 600-point mark for the season. Simmons now has 607 points (19.6 average). He needs 62 more points to get into the single-season top-10.
- IMPROVING AT THE LINE: LSU sophomore Craig Victor is 27-of-35 (77.1 percent) from the free-throw line in his last eight games and 41-of-54 (77.8 percent) in the last 14 games and is up to 60.7 percent for the season after going 2-of-12 in his first two games.
Tennessee (15-18, 8-12 SEC)
- G Shembari Phillips, 6-2, Fr., 5.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg
- G Devon Baulkman, 6-4, Sr., 9.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg
- G/FArmani Moore, 6-4, Sr., 12.4 ppg, 7.7 rpg
- FAdmiral Schofield, 6-5, Fr., 7.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg
- FDerek Reese, 6-7, Sr., 3.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg
- G Robert Hubbs, 6-4, Jr., 10.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg
- G Detrick Mostella, 6-1, So., 8.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg
- F Kyle Alexander, 6-9, Fr., 1.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg
LSU (18-13, 11-7 SEC)
- G Tim Quarterman, 6-6, Jr., 11.1 ppg, 3.6 apg
- G Jalyn Patterson, 6-1, So., 5.1 ppg, 1.4 rpg
- G Antonio Blakeney, 6-4, Fr., 12.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg
- F Ben Simmons, 6-10, Fr., 19.6 ppg, 11.9 rpg
- F Craig Victor, 6-9, So., 12.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg
- G Josh Gray, 6-1, Sr., 5.2 ppg, 1.8 apg
- G Brandon Sampson, 6-5, Fr., 4.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg
- C Darcy Malone, 7-0, Jr., 0.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg
MORE LSU BASKETBALL