Pregame will be posted a few hours before each game this baseball season. About an hour before first pitch, lineups will be added to the bottom of this post. Return after the game for our Postgame blog.
- What: LSU (5-0) vs. Toledo (2-2)
- When: 6 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Alex Box Stadium
- Starting pitchers: LSU LHP Kyle Bouman (1-0, 1.80 ERA, 5.0 IP, 0 BB, 1 SO) vs. UT RHP Cameron Palmer (1-0, 1.80 ERA, 5.0 IP, 5 BB, 4 SO)
- Twitter follow: @DellengerAdv
- On deck: vs. Texas Southern, 3 p.m. Sunday, Alex Box
- In the hole: vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, , 6 :30 Tuesday, Alex Box
- Links to know: Nola pitches a no-no through seven in 9-0 rout of Virginia Tech
What’s At Stake
- Keeping up appearances: Here’s another game LSU should win. Toledo had a losing record in the MAC last season and barely beat Texas Southern on Friday afternoon. The Tigers will be expected to move to 6-0, but it’s baseball, so.
What To Watch
- Bouman’s outing: Bouman and Jared Poché appear to be in a hot race for the final SEC weekend starting gig. Yes, Mainieri says that the two starting rotation spots are open behind ace Aaron Nola, but Cody Glenn seems to be a shoe-in for one of them. That leaves Poché, a freshman, and Bouman, a junior college transfer, competing. Both have looked solid in their first appearances last weekend. Poché will start Sunday.
- Pen: LSU’s bullpen continued to impress Friday, closing out Virginia Tech in the eighth and ninth. Alden Cartwright and Zac Person got those honors and came through, despite allowing a single each. Mainieri says he plans to play every pitcher this weekend. Who comes out of the pen Saturday and can they keep up the solid relieving?
- Outfield gems: Mark Laird and Andrew Stevenson have been on a roll lately. The speedy pair of outfielders have made a half-dozen of great plays. Laird has stolen two to three hits over the past two games and Stevenson had a diving grab against Southeastern, so far the outfield play of the year. Will it continue?
Know Your Opponent
- As previously mentioned, Toledo is a middling opponent at best. They’ve lost to Xavier and Furman this season and finished with a losing record last year in the MAC. They beat Texas Southern 1-0 Friday on a wild pitch in the eighth. Toledo had a team ERA last season of 4.57.
- Sean McMullen, DH
- Mark Laird, LF
- Alex Bregman, SS
- Christian Ibarra, 3B
- Chris Sciambra, DH
- Tyler Moore, C
- Kade Scivicque, 1B
- Andrew Stevenson, CF
- Kramer Robertson, 2B
- Tyler Grogg, CF
- Deion Tansel, SS
- Dan Zuchowski, 2B
- James Miglin, C
- Tyler Baar, 1B
- John Martillotta, 3B
- Jacob North, DH
- Jacob Britt, RF
- Zack Michael, LF