Pregame will be posted a few hours before each game this baseball season. About an hour before first pitch, lineups will be added to the bottom of this post. Return after the game for our Postgame blog.
- What: LSU (7-0) vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (7-1)
- When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Where: Alex Box Stadium
- Starting pitchers: LSU LHP Cody Glenn (1-0, 1.50 ERA, 6.0 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO) vs. RHP Greg Milhorn (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 7.1 IP, 1 BB, 5 SO)
- Twitter follow: @DellengerAdv
- On deck: vs. Yale, 7 p.m. Friday, Alex Box
- In the hole: vs. Yale, 2 p.m. Saturday, Alex Box
- Links to know: Tigers, Cajuns set for top-10 showdown; Notes: Hale remains at cleanup, LSU No. 1 in one poll, Rain possible
What’s At Stake
- RPI: Even coach Paul Mainieri admits that Louisiana-Lafayette is “no question” the best team his squad has played so far. In at least one poll, the two teams are ranked in the top 10. This is one of those showdowns in which the NCAA Tournament selection committee will look at come May, Mainieri said.
What To Watch
- The weather: It’s rained off and on through the day in Baton Rouge. The later it gets, the higher the precipitation chance. Both teams are aware of the weather. Mainieri and UL-Lafayette coach Tony Robichaux discussed possible makeup dates Monday morning.
- Glenn vs. power: Cody Glenn faces the toughest test of any LSU pitcher so far. The Ragin Cajuns return eight starters from a batting lineup that led the nation in home runs, was second in slugging and sixth in batting average last season. Glenn overcame a few chopping single in his first outing at Southeastern Louisiana. He’s poised to win an SEC weekend starting gig.
- Foster’s bat: Jared Foster began the season as the cleanup man and was demoted into the No. 8 hole after a rough opening pair of games. He’s started all but one game this season. Sean McMullen, usually the DH, started in his place in right field in a 15-1 win over Toledo. Foster is currently batting .130 (3 for 23). For a guy who started preseason competing for an everyday role, Foster may only have a few more chances to get the swing right or be replaced for good in the everyday lineup. Is he even in the lineup Tuesday?
Know Your Opponent
- Louisiana-Lafayette is ranked as high as No. 10 in the major polls and the Ragin’ Cajun return all but one hitter from a lineup last year that led the nation in homers. They’ll pitch Greg Milhorn, an unknown junior-college transfer from Arkansas who started — and won — Game 2 this season. He pitched a shutout in that first appearance and then closed out the series sweep of Southern Miss, pitching a scoreless 1.1 innings.
- Sean McMullen, LF
- Mark Laird, RF
- Alex Bregman, SS
- Conner Hale, 1B
- Kade Scivicque, DH
- Christian Ibarra, 3B
- Andrew Stevenson, CF
- Tyler Moore, C
- Kramer Robertson, 2B
- Caleb Adams, LF
- Seth Harrison, CF
- Blake Trahan, SS
- Ryan Wilson, RF
- Michael Strentz, C
- Ryan Leonards, 3B
- Evan Powell, DH
- Jace Conrad, 2B
- Greg Davis, 1B