Pregame will be posted a few hours before each game this baseball season. About an hour before first pitch, lineups will be added to the bottom of this post. Return after the game for our Postgame blog with video.
OXFORD – Alden Cartwright will start on the mound for LSU.
Cartwright, a freshman and Runnels High grad, is making just his second start this season. It’s his second start this week, too.
Cartwright got the nod in the win over Southern Miss. He pitched a perfect first inning before giving up a home run and single in the second.
- What: LSU (29-10-1, 9-7-1) vs. Ole Miss (30-10, 10-7)
- When: 1 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Oxford-University Stadium, Oxford, Miss.
- Starting pitchers: LSU Fr. RHP Alden Cartwright (1-0, 2.16) vs. OM Jr. RHP Sam Smith (5-2, 2.30)
- TV: FSN
- In-game updates on Twitter: @DellengerAdv
- On deck: vs. Tulane, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oxford-University Stadium, Oxford
- In the hole: vs. Tennessee, 7 p.m. Friday, Alex Box Stadium
- Links to know: Ole Miss beats bungling LSU to even series; Notes: Zardon gets first nod at second in shuffled lineup; Postgame blog
What’s At Stake
- In what many believe is a series between the top two teams in the SEC, LSU has a shot to win it and maintain their top-3 place in the league standings. More so, the Tigers can prove they can win a series finale. They’ve won one of five and tied once.
What To Watch
- Cartwright’s nod: The freshman from Runnels gets the start on the mound against Ole Miss. Aaron Nola started on the mound as a freshman in a rubber match against Ole Miss two years ago. He and LSU got the win. Cartwright, though, is making just his second ever start. He started in a win over Southern Miss on Tuesday, pitching a perfect first before allowing a homer in the second. Cartwright has struck out 16 and walked just three in 16.2 innings this season.
- The bats: The Tigers left 19 runners stranded in the first 18 innings against Ole Miss. That’s rough. LSU must started bringing runs home. It’s a good time to start Saturday, when there’s no Nola or Poche on the mound.
- The pen: Cartwright is likely to work just two to three innings giving way to a bullpen that’s been up and down. It’ll be on their shoulders. Zac Person, Parker Bugg and Kyle Bouman will all probably see time on the mound.
Know Your Opponent
- Smith is the only member of Ole Miss’ starting rotation who was a part of it last year. Smith, of Lake Charles, isn’t a strikeout guy, and he’s allowed 52 hits in 54.2 innings.
- Andrew Stevenson, CF
- Mark Laird, RF
- Jake Fraley, LF
- Sean McMullen, DH
- Tyler Moore, 1B
- Alex Bregman, SS
- Kade Scivicque, C
- Conner Hale, 2B
- Christian Ibarra, 3B
- Braxton Lee, LF
- Auston Bousfield, CF
- Austin Anderson, 3B
- Will Allen, C
- Sikes Orvis, 1B
- J.B. Woodman, DH
- Will Jamison, RF
- Preston Orverby, 2B
- Errol Robinson, SS