Pregame will be posted a few hours before each game this baseball season. About an hour before first pitch, lineups will be added to the bottom of this post. Return after the game for our Postgame blog with video.
- What: LSU (36-14-1) vs. Northwestern State (30-21)
- When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Where: Alex Box Stadium
- Starting pitchers: LSU Fr. LHP Jared Poché (6-3, 2.58) vs. NSU Sr. LHP Andrew Adams (1-1, 2.93)
- TV: CST
- In-game updates on Twitter: @DellengerAdv
- On deck: vs. Auburn, 6 p.m. Thursday, Samford Stadium
- In the hole: vs. Auburn, 6 p.m., Friday, Samford Stadium
- Links to know: Cody Glenn, two reserves leave LSU baseball team; The Scenarios – How Tigers can win the SEC West/ finish top four in the league
What’s At Stake
- LSU dropped three more spots in the official NCAA RPI this week, slipping to No. 20. The Tigers can’t afford a loss to a team with an RPI of 133. The RPI isn’t everything – LSU’s finish in the SEC standings is probably more important – but coach Paul Mainieri’s crew is on the bubble of being an NCAA regional host. That goal won’t be helped with a loss at home to a Southland team.
What To Watch
- The rain: It’s on the way. Spotty cells are popping up, and a line of thunderstorms from the west is expected to arrive around game time (Note: I do not have a meteorology degree). LSU has had the worst luck this season with the weather, but not playing Tuesday wouldn’t be the worst thing. The Tigers start a three-game series at Auburn on Thursday and are leaving for that trip Wednesday morning. Meanwhile, pitching depth is an issue.
- The lineup: Mainieri has shuffled his lineup lately in midweek games, using reserves, but Northwestern State isn’t a SWAC school. And the last time Mainieri did that – against Alcorn State – the Tigers had to rally behind their inserted starters for a wild win.
- After Poche: Poché isn’t expected to throw past the first inning. This will serve as a tune-up before his start Thursday in the series opener at Auburn. Who Mainieri brings in after Poché is the thing to watch. The relievers have been up-and-down lately. They’ll get their own tune-up Tuesday before a key series against Auburn.
Know Your Opponent
- Adams, a redshirt freshman from Texas, is making his first start of the season. He’s thrown 25 strikeouts and allowed eight walks. The Demons, at 18-9, are tied for third in the Southland Conference. They’re a game back of first place.