LSU was given the No. 8 national seed in the NCAA tournament.
Here’s more about that. The Tigers will host a super regional if they can first manage to navigate the second-toughest regional, according to RPI, among the 16 NCAA regionals.
Provided by noted baseball expert and long-time Advocate reporter Joe Mac, here’s the cumulative RPI for 2-4 seeds in each regional:
(In parentheses is the RPI for the host team. An * signifies a national seed)
- *Florida (2) 123
- *LSU (10) 127
- South Carolina (13) 128
- Ole Miss (14) 158
- Rice (8) 169
- *Virginia (1) 175
- *Florida St. (3) 177
- Vanderbilt (7) 178
- Louisville (20) 197
- Cal Poly (16) 219
- Oklahoma St. (18) 244
- Miami (15) 258
- *TCU (12) 281
- *Oregon St. (5) 320
- *Indiana (4) 339
- *UL-Lafayette (6) 347
And, now, a preview of LSU’s regional teams:
Houston, 2 seed
- Record (conference): 44-15 (14-9, 3rd American Athletic)
- NCAA RPI: 10
- The scoop: Houston has a lofty RPI for a No. 2 seed, and it beat regional host Louisville in the American Athletic Conference tournament championship game. The Cougars beat Texas A&M in a midweek game and swept Michigan in February. They’ve got a stud closer in Chase Welbrock, who has 12 saves and a 1.15 ERA in 39 innings.
Bryant, 3 seed
- Record (conference): 42-14 (19-5, 1st Northeast)
- NCAA RPI: 43
- The scoop: The Rhode Island-based school dominated its conference in the regular season and then won the league tournament by outscoring its three opponents 14-4. The Bulldogs have three starting pitchers with an ERA of less than 3.00. They were swept by Maryland in a season-opening series, the only one against a major conference team.
Southeastern Louisiana, 4 seed
- Record (conference): 37-23 (18-12, 5th Southland)
- NCAA RPI: 73
- The scoop: The Lions have what coach Paul Mainieri calls an “SEC caliber” ace in starter Andro Cutura. The junior from Pearl River is 10-2 with a 1.72 ERA. He’s thrown 95 strikeouts and walked just 19 in 99.2 innings this season. The Lions dropped two games to each Ole Miss and Louisiana-Lafayette this season and lost 7-3 to LSU.