We had a great time yesterday at LSU’s LaHouse Friday Lunch & Learn. Chef David Tiner from the Louisiana Culinary Institute cooked up a creamy, comforting Vegetable Risotto with fresh vegetables from the house’s garden.
Serves 4. Recipe is from the Louisiana Culinary Institute.
2 tbls. unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup onion, diced small
2 cups arborio rice
4 cups hot chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh cut green beans, cut
1 cup yellow squash, diced medium
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup carrots, diced small
1/4 cup celery, diced small
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt the first part of the butter and add the onions. Cook over low heat until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring the rice to coat with butter, about 3 minutes, or until the rice begins to lighten in color.
3. Add half the hot broth and increase the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until most of the broth has been absorbed.
4. Stir in the vegetables and remaining broth, lower heat to medium low and continue to cook covered for an additional 10 minutes or until the remaining broth has been absorbed.
5. Add the second part of the butter and cheese; stir to create a creamy texture to the rice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve, top with additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese and drizzle with a good quality extra virgin olive oil.