Summer Fresco Burger With Mozzarella Filling and Tomato Relish
Serves 6. Recipe is from chef Tony Matassa at Shoppers Choice.
For the burgers:
4 lbs. 80/20 ground chuck
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. white pepper
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tbls. rough chopped basil
3 tbls. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
For the relish:
3 Roma tomatoes
3 tbls. fresh chopped basil
3 tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the grill to 425 to 450 degrees, preferably with a hot side and a warm side by setting one side of your grill’s burners lower than the others after preheating.
2. Place ground chuck in a large mixing bowl, breaking it up loosely. Add salt and peppers and blend together.
3. In a separate bowl, blend together the shredded mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and basil.
4. Dice the tomatoes and place them in a colander in the sink or over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and allow them to macerate for 10 to 15 minutes. Once macerated, blend the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside until hamburgers are cooked.
5. Begin scooping out handfuls of ground chuck and place the loose balls on a baking sheet. You should end up with 12 balls with about the same amount of meat in each. Begin forming 6 patties by lightly pressing them down with your hands, being careful not to overwork or compress the patties. Once flat, use your thumb to create a well in the center of each patty.
6. Using a spoon, fill each well with the mozzarella mixture, lightly pressing in with the back of a spoon.
7. Place the 6 empty patties on top of the 6 filled patties and lightly press together, crimping the edges of each with your finger tips.
8. Grill the hamburgers for about 3 minutes on each side for medium. Add two minutes per side for medium well. Toast the buns on the grill for 30 to 45 seconds, place patties on each of the buns. Top with spoonfuls of relish.