Broccoli and Garlic Pasta
Serves 6. Recipe is by Tommy Simmons.
4 stalks of fresh broccoli, trimmed and chopped to make about 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
4 garlic gloves, peeled and finely chopped
Half of a yellow onion, peeled and chopped
4 to 6 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. pine nuts
1 grind of coarse sea salt, optional
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the broccoli, garlic and onion for cooking.
2. Blanch the chopped broccoli in 2 cups of boiling water for 2 minutes to soften. Drain, but save the water.
3. Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Sauté the blanched broccoli, onion and garlic in the hot oil, stirring as the vegetables cook to achieve a pan-roasted appearance and flavor.
4. Stir in pine nuts and season with black pepper and sea salt, if desired.
5. While the vegetables are cooking, boil the spaghetti in the reserved broccoli water plus extra water, as needed. Drain.
6. Pour the cooked vegetables and pine nuts from the skillet over the cooked spaghetti. Add grated cheese and toss. Serve hot.
Testing note: The leftover Broccoli and Garlic Pasta keeps well in the refrigerator. Reheat portions in microwave, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes to serve. Can add extra Parmesan cheese to reheated spaghetti, if desired. Also, if preferred, substitute chopped leaf spinach for the broccoli. If using the spinach, skip the step about blanching the vegetable. Spinach cooks quickly in the hot olive oil.