Broccoli, Cheese and Ham Strata
Serves 9-12. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
12 slices white bread
8 ozs. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 (10-oz.) pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked until tender crisp and drained OR 3 heads fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped, cooked crisp tender (about 3 cups)
3 cups chopped ham
6 eggs, beaten
3½ cups milk
3 green onions, chopped
½ to 1 tsp. salt or to taste
½ to 1 tsp. black pepper or to taste
¼ to ½ tsp. dry mustard
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Cut 12 rounds from the center of each bread slice with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Reserve the rounds for the top of the dish. Cut the “scraps” of bread into about 1-inch pieces and place them in bottom of 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
2. Sprinkle all but about 1 cup of the grated cheese over the bread pieces, reserving the 1 cup for the top of the casserole.
3. Over the bread pieces, add the layer of broccoli then the layer of ham.
4. Arrange the bread rounds over the top of the casserole.
5. In separate bowl combine eggs, milk, green onions, salt, black pepper, dry mustard and cayenne. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour over the bread and top of casserole.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
7. Remove from refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before baking.
8. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour or 1 hour and 10 minutes OR until center looks set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. If top gets too brown, loosely cover dish with foil.
9. Sprinkle top with reserved cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Allow casserole to set for about 5 to 8 minutes before serving.