Golden Corn Soup
Makes 4 to 5 servings. Recipe is from Nestlé. Enjoy the last of the sweet corn in this meat-free soup.
4 medium ears of fresh corn, shucked and cleaned
2 (12-oz. each) cans evaporated low-fat 2 percent milk
1 tbl. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup water
2 large sprigs fresh thyme or dried, to taste
Light sour cream or crème fraîche, optional
Finely chopped fresh chives or green onions, optional
1. Cut kernels off cobs; reserve kernels and cobs. Put evaporated milk and cobs in large saucepan; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 8 minutes.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook stirring frequently a few minutes or until translucent. Stir in carrot, celery and corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Add vegetable mixture, water and thyme to saucepan; cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Discard corncobs and thyme. Cool about 10 minutes.
4. Pour into blender and blend until almost smooth. The recipe called for straining the soup, but it was not strained for testing.
5. Reheat over low heat before serving, if desired. It can also be served chilled.