Makes approximately 21/4 cups stuffing. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 (8-oz.) box white or baby bella mushrooms plus 2 portobello mushrooms
Olive oil for brushing on mushrooms
4 tbls. butter
2 tbls. olive oil or vegetable oil
½ onion, chopped
¼ red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups plain bread crumbs
8 ozs. crabmeat (Use remainder of pound for another special meal)
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste
1. Wipe or brush mushrooms to clean. Remove stems and finely chop the stems. Brush each cap with olive oil and set caps aside.
2. In medium skillet, add butter and oil and sauté chopped mushroom stems, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic together until all vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in bread crumbs, crabmeat and seasoning.
4. Spoon filling into each cap.
5. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.