Avocado Apricot Almond Salad
Serves 4 as a side salad. Recipe is from Earthbound Farm.
5 ozs. prewashed mixed baby greens (6 cups)
1/4 cup fresh whole tarragon leaves
About 1/4 cup Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup (2 ozs.) crumbled mild semisoft goat cheese or feta cheese
1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
8 dried apricots, each cut into 3 or 4 strips
1. Just before you plan to serve the salad, place the greens and tarragon in a large salad bowl and toss to combine. Add 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the leaves, then taste to see if more vinaigrette is needed.
2. Transfer the greens to a platter or individual salad plates. Scatter the almonds and cheese on top of the greens.
3. Peel the avocado and discard the pit. Cut the avocado lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange the avocado slices around the edge of the platter or plate. Sprinkle the apricots over the salad and serve immediately.
Makes about 1 cup.
1/3 cup plus 2 tbls. fresh lemon juice, preferably from a Meyer lemon
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl. Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt, to taste
1. Place all the ingredients in a glass jar and seal the lid tightly. Shake the jar vigorously to combine. The vinaigrette can be refrigerated, covered, for up to a week.
2. Let it return to room temperature and remove the garlic cloves before using.