Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 8. Recipe is from Nestlé. Estimated preparation time is 25 minutes. Cooking time is 30 minutes, plus 5 minutes cooling time.
For the filling:
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
3 celery ribs, sliced ¼-inch thick
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsps. chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Fine sea salt, to taste
¼ cup dry white wine or sherry (optional)
3 cups water
2 tsps. instant chicken flavor bouillon
¼ cup cornstarch
1 (12-oz.) can lowfat (2%) evaporated milk
1(3½- to 4-lb.) rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 4 cups)
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tbls. chopped fresh Italian parsley
Praline Cheesecake Pie
Recipe is from Mary Edwards of Memphis, Tenn.
1 (9-inch) unbaked piecrust
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tbls. butter or margarine, melted
Then try this cocktail from Chris Hannah at Arnaud’s French 75 Bar:
Mourning Pie Cocktail
1 oz. Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz. pineapple juice
1/2 oz. limoncello
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1/3 oz. creme de cacao
Mix all ingredients. Shake. Serve over ice.
What are your favorite Hubig’s memories? I’d love to hear them. And if anyone has one of their coconut pies …
Buttermilk and fried apples give this pie an old-fashioned flavor.
Buttermilk Apple Pie
Makes 8 to 10 servings. This recipe is from “Apple Pie Perfect,” and was published in The Advocate on Oct. 20, 2005.
For the Pie Pastry:
1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch piesces
1 large egg yolk
About 3 tbls. cold water
This grown-up Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie won the Nestlé Kitchens Pie Recipe Contest.
Milisa Armstrong of Wyoming won the Nestlé Kitchens Pie Recipe Contest winner with this grown-up Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie.
Sounds like a perfect treat for a hot summer day.
Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie
Serves 10. Recipe is by Milisa Armstrong.
For the crust:
9 graham crackers
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbls. butter, melted
For the filling:
1 (1.5-quart) container coffee ice cream, softened
1/2 cup Nestlé La Lechera Dulce de Leche
1 (8-oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup chocolate morsels, chopped, divided
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until crackers resemble fine crumbs. Add crumbs to the bowl along with chopped almonds, sugar and butter; stir to combine. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch-deep pie dish.
2. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
3. Spread the ice cream into the cooled pie crust, smoothing it out over the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle with half the chopped morsels.
4. Heat the dulce de leche in a microwave-safe bowl on high power for a few seconds to soften, then stir. Pour over chocolate morsels, spreading as evenly as you can.
5. Spoon whipped topping over dulce de leche, covering the entire surface of the pie. Sprinkle with remaining chopped morsels and sliced almonds.
6. Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove pie from freezer and cover with foil. Place back in the freezer for at least 4 hours or until pie has set. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before you are ready to serve. Store leftovers in the freezer.