Diet drinks may trim waistlines, studies say.
Pie’s answer to cupcakes.
LSU AgCenter opens model garden.
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is by Beth Colvin.
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
5 to 6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, dried and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄8 cup basil, chopped
Dash of white pepper
2 cups cheese, any kind, but I like a Parmesan-Romano mix
3/4 cup mayonnaise, low-fat is fine
2 tbls. Dijon mustard
Milisa Armstrong of Wyoming won the Nestlé Kitchens Pie Recipe Contest winner with this grown-up Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie.
Sounds like a perfect treat for a hot summer day.
Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie
Serves 10. Recipe is by Milisa Armstrong.
For the crust:
9 graham crackers
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbls. butter, melted
For the filling:
1 (1.5-quart) container coffee ice cream, softened
1/2 cup Nestlé La Lechera Dulce de Leche
1 (8-oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup chocolate morsels, chopped, divided
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until crackers resemble fine crumbs. Add crumbs to the bowl along with chopped almonds, sugar and butter; stir to combine. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch-deep pie dish.
2. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
3. Spread the ice cream into the cooled pie crust, smoothing it out over the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle with half the chopped morsels.
4. Heat the dulce de leche in a microwave-safe bowl on high power for a few seconds to soften, then stir. Pour over chocolate morsels, spreading as evenly as you can.
5. Spoon whipped topping over dulce de leche, covering the entire surface of the pie. Sprinkle with remaining chopped morsels and sliced almonds.
6. Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove pie from freezer and cover with foil. Place back in the freezer for at least 4 hours or until pie has set. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before you are ready to serve. Store leftovers in the freezer.