A two-game winning streak has opinions about LSU football – and its bowl prospects – trending up again.
The Tigers backed up a wild 30-27 win at Florida with a 41-3 rout of Kentucky last Saturday to run LSU’s record to 6-2 overall, 2-2 in SEC play and push the Tigers back into the top 25 at No. 24.
Six of 12 national bowl predictions have the Tigers aimed at the Taxslayer Bowl on Jan. 2 in Jacksonville, Florida. But one pick from USAToday.com has LSU returning to the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 to face season-opening foe Wisconsin.
Two picks have LSU in the Liberty Bowl (Dec. 29 in Houston), two in the Belk Bowl (Dec. 30 in Charlotte, North Carolina) and another in the Texas Bowl (Dec. 29 in Houston).
Bowl bids will be extended Sunday, Dec. 7, following the slotting of teams in the CFP semifinals (Sugar and Rose) and the remaining four CFP bowls (Orange, Cotton, Peach and Fiesta).
After teams are selected for the six CFP bowls and the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (formerly Capital One Bowl) makes its pick, the SEC will slot its remaining bowl-eligible teams into the bowls with which the conference has ties.
The first CFP rankings will be released Oct. 28.
The win over Kentucky made LSU bowl eligible for the 15th straight season since 2000, extending an ongoing school record. Before this current run, the Tigers had never made more than five straight bowl appearances.
- Bill Bender, The Sporting News: Taxslayer Bowl vs. Maryland
- David Ching (LSU and SEC blogger) and Adam Rittenberg (Big Ten blogger): Taxslayer Bowl vs. Wisconsin
- CollegeFootballMadness.com: Taxslayer Bowl vs. Rutgers
- CollegeFootballNews.com: Liberty Bowl vs. Baylor
- Brad Crawford, SaturdayDownSouth.com: Taxslayer Bowl vs. Maryland
- Jason Kirk, SBNation.com: Liberty Bowl vs. West Virginia
- Brett McMurphy, ESPN.com: Belk Bowl vs. Virginia Tech
- Jerry Palm, CBSSports.com: Belk Bowl vs. Notre Dame
- Brant Parsons, Orlando Sentinel: Texas Bowl vs. West Virginia
- Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com: Taxslayer Bowl vs. Minnesota
- Phil Steele, PhilSteele.com: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Iowa
- USAToday.com: Outback Bowl vs. Wisconsin
THE ADVOCATE’S PICK
Don’t see the likelihood of LSU making a second straight trip to the Outback Bowl, especially for a rematch from the season opener with Wisconsin. Only slightly more likely is a trip back to Houston for the Texas Bowl.
If the Tigers could somehow win out and finish 10-2, they would likely earn one of the six CFP bowl berths, but with two top-10 opponents and two tough road games left, no one is predicting that.
If LSU could split its last four games to finish 8-4, the Taxslayer Bowl continues to look like a more and more likely choice. It’s a bowl that LSU hasn’t been to since 1987 and typically takes teams with less-than-stellar records, though.
But this is new ground with the CFP and SEC making almost all of the picks. What seems likely today could be way off base by the time bowl matchups are solidified on Dec. 7.
- Liberty Bowl: Dec. 29, Memphis
- Texas Bowl: Dec. 29, Houston
- Belk Bowl, Dec. 30, Charlotte
- Outback Bowl, Jan. 1, Tampa
- TaxSlayer Bowl: Jan. 2, Jacksonville