- LSU might have made some progress in securing commits from more of the state’s top-10 ranked talent. Four star receiver Daylon Charlot dropped his commitment from Alabama after visiting LSU over the weekend, 247Sports.com and Scout.com reported Sunday. Charlot, the No. 5 ranked player in the state in the 2015 class, had been committed to the Tide since February.
- LSU has commits from just four of the top 10 players in the state. If that holds, that would be the smallest number of top-10 Louisiana to sign with LSU under coach Les Miles. There’s plenty of time to change that, though. National Signing Day isn’t until Feb. 4, and four of the top-10 Louisiana recruits are now uncommitted.
- It’s bowl season, and that means that it’s time to browse the list of bowl gifts. The NCAA allows players to receive gifts from bowls worth $550 or less. Here’s the full list. LSU is bound for the Music City Bowl, where they’ll receive Fossil watches (who wears a watch anymore?). Some of the most interesting gifts around the nation: winter coat, winter gloves, winter beanie from the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl; custom-made Fathead for each player with their likeness in the Quick Lane Bowl.
- Vanderbilt is really cleaning house. The Commodores fired their defensive coordinator a week after dismissing their offensive coordinator. Vandy finished last in the SEC this season at 3-9 and failed to win a conference game.
— Adam Sparks (@AdamSparks) December 8, 2014
- After being shut out of the College Football Playoff, the Big 12 will reassess itself, according to this AP story. The league’s co-champions, TCU and Baylor, didn’t make the final four – in part because the conference lacked a championship game. Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports says the Big 12 should target two of four teams for expansion to 12 teams (the minimum needed for a championship game, according to NCAA rules): Boise State, BYU, UCF and Cincinnati. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby weighed on who he thought should have gotten the fourth spot instead of Ohio State:
Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby says if he was a selection member he would have voted for TCU for 4th spot, not Baylor.
— Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) December 8, 2014
- Alabama is an 11 to 10 favorite to win the College Football Playoff according to Bovada. Check out all of the CFP odds from them:
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones received a two-year extension and a raise to $3.6 million, the school announced Monday. Jones was reportedly contacted by Michigan but spurned the Wolverines. He received a nearly $700,000 raise following his second season with the program. The Volunteers went 6-6 this year. It’s that time of year – for coaching raises and extensions. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze received a raise and extensions earlier this year and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen is close to receiving something similar, according to The Clarion-Ledger:
Scott Stricklin confident a Dan Mullen contract extension will be 'wrapped up pretty soon.' http://t.co/oFr9LSXqYZ
— Michael Bonner (@MikeBBonner) December 8, 2014